10.23.2012

Bistro 131 - New Philly, OH


As a culinarian, I sometimes find it very difficult to truly, truly enjoy a meal. Knowing what could be done differently to make a meal that much better amplifies small technical flaws to the point where it can be difficult to be happy with what was ordered. Sometimes having to force yourself to step back and ignore the little things is the only way to truly appreciate the dish in front of you.

Keeping this in mind, it is great to find the deemable flawless meal. I have to say I have had two of the most memorable and perfect meals I have had in a long time here in New Phillidelphia.

I had dinner tonight at Bistro 131. Its right off the highway near all of the hotels in New Philly. This is the second time I have eaten there, and I have found both meals to be outstanding. The restaurant itself is very nice as well. The food quality and service have been very consistent. The wait and back of the house staff dress very professional, sharp, and clean, not to mention are also incredibly friendly and quite genuine. The menu has quite a range of meal selections; from sandwiches to quality entrees, anyone can find something perfect to meet their needs.  The restaurant atmosphere is very calm. Dimmed lights, black and white sharp lines and hints of warm colors throughout the restaurant make this establishment look very contemporary and ever so cozy.

Before I get to the entrees I want to note, I am a sucker for red wine vinaigrettes. The house dressing here has to be one of my top picks for the said dressing, and the bread accompanying the salad is fresh and tasty especially with the lightly herbed butter it is served with.

Beautiful and delicious
For my first visit, I ordered the Maple Glazed Atlantic Salmon. This dish was so memorable that I can still taste it. I was given a large cut of delicious salmon. It was served skin on with glazed pecans and green onions on mashed sweet potatoes and a maple sauce. The maple, pecans, and sweet potatoes tied in wonderfully with the salmon which was cooked to perfection with the most crisp and tasty skin I have ever had on a piece of fish.

I thought I had a go to meal, but I wanted to try something else and am glad I did. Tonight I ordered the Balsamic Glazed Pork Chops. It was the most amazing meal I have had in a while. The pork chops were paired with garlic mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables and warm citrus infused greens.

Sorry picture doesn't do it justice. Absolutely amazing though.
Everything about this dish was amazing. So many deep robust flavors that complimented each other perfectly.  The pork chops were crisp on the outside and very moist on the inside. They were seasoned with a gratuitous amount of pepper and had a hint of sweet that made them taste like heaven. The vegetables were very flavorful and matched the dish well. The most interesting part of the dish had to be the greens on top. With a tad of lemon juice and zest they contradicted the overall direction of the dish and brought it to a higher level of flavor perfection. On a technical level I would give this dish a 9 out of 10. The cooking involved and range of flavors make this a dish I will keep coming back to time after time.

For the portion size and quality of food, I believe that this restaurant is very fairly priced (dinners range $10-15) and worth a visit. If you are driving through the area, make sure to stop off for dinner.

UPDATE

A coworker and I went back our final day in Tusc and we both got some of Bistro's mac and cheese. Both tasted amazing and I highly recommend both!


The Real McCoy - Pulled Pork, Bacon BBQ Mac and Cheese. 10 out of 10. This was amazing!








Under The Sea - Crab Meat / Seafood Mac and Cheese. Also quite tasty. I chose the McCoy and would recommend it, but if you want something a bit lighter, grab this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment